[03:29:36] JeremyMerkur (~JeremyMer@CPEbc1401231f53-CMbc1401231f50.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com) left irc: Quit: JeremyMerkur
[05:48:37] lissyx (~firstname.lastname@example.org) left irc: Quit: Ex-Chat
[05:48:39] gerard-majax_ (~email@example.com) joined #markus.
[05:53:22] Nick change: gerard-majax_ -> lissyx
[14:24:55] WilliamRoy (63f8c306@gateway/web/freenode/ip.22.214.171.124) joined #markus.
[14:48:25] dylan_r (~firstname.lastname@example.org) joined #markus.
[14:50:01] <WilliamRoy> Hey Dylan
[14:50:18] <dylan_r> hey
[14:50:47] <WilliamRoy> Have you managed to get anything working?
[14:51:09] <dylan_r> no
[14:51:39] <dylan_r> lol. I was looking at the files we may have to change but didn't have time to implement anything. you?
[14:51:40] <WilliamRoy> How far have you gotten?
[14:51:54] <WilliamRoy> I haven't bothered to implement anything
[14:52:03] <WilliamRoy> I like we need a direction before we do
[14:52:11] <WilliamRoy> I've also had too many assignments haha
[14:52:14] <dylan_r> mm. I was looking for ways to create svn repos and it just doesn't seem possible
[14:52:16] <dylan_r> yeah I hear that
[14:52:22] <WilliamRoy> Its not
[14:52:29] <WilliamRoy> That's the biggest problem
[14:52:38] <dylan_r> yeah. darn.
[14:52:42] <WilliamRoy> if we can't create the svn repo, we may as well use git
[14:52:44] <dylan_r> did you get anywhere playing with rugged/
[14:52:49] <dylan_r> *?
[14:52:54] <WilliamRoy> I haven't had a chance to touch it
[14:53:13] <dylan_r> mm. well at least if we know we're going git it should make it easier...
[14:53:14] <WilliamRoy> I've got it downloaded and thats as far as I got
[14:53:34] <dylan_r> yeah. did you have to do anything with libgit2? I tried installing but no go
[14:53:41] <WilliamRoy> Git has crazy support right now because its a pro rails system
[14:54:03] <WilliamRoy> I think getting the bundle working this week will be my pet project
[14:54:12] <dylan_r> yeah everyone seems to love it. i guess it makes sense. it's just going to suck for people to have to get switched over.
[14:54:49] <WilliamRoy> yeah thats the down side, but git offers so many more debugging tools and control its hard to argue against
[14:54:52] <dylan_r> I noticed there is an svn to git conversion gem though....I wonder if that would be a useful addition if we do have to do git only
[14:54:55] <dylan_r> yeah
[14:55:02] <dylan_r> let me find it again 1 sec
[14:55:06] <WilliamRoy> link me to this gem
[14:56:39] <dylan_r> ah never mind. Not a gem, just a tool
[14:56:41] <dylan_r> http://viarails.net/q/How-do-I-convert-my-Subversion-SVN-code-repository-to-git
[14:57:15] <WilliamRoy> git-core is now part of regular git haha
[14:57:31] <WilliamRoy> this is what I've been playing with http://trac.parrot.org/parrot/wiki/git-svn-tutorial
[14:57:52] <dylan_r> ah. well. at least they make it easy
[14:58:25] <WilliamRoy> yeah, there was another git addon called git-svn but its lost support
[14:58:33] <dylan_r> I made a google doc of the files that need changing/have subversion specific code/comments in them. Will share later and we can throw it on the blog when it's done.
[14:58:42] <WilliamRoy> part of its functionality got add to git svn
[14:59:00] <WilliamRoy> That would be really good
[14:59:02] <dylan_r> hmm.
[14:59:07] <dylan_r> wait you don't have gmail eg?
[14:59:10] <WilliamRoy> It'll allow for group contributions
[14:59:21] <WilliamRoy> yeah I do, I think I sent it
[14:59:26] <WilliamRoy> I'll email it to again
[14:59:30] <dylan_r> kk thanks
[14:59:50] daniyall (~dl@S01065cd9986b49e3.vc.shawcable.net) joined #markus.
[14:59:56] <dylan_r> hey daniyall
[15:00:04] <daniyall> Hi
[15:00:13] <WilliamRoy> hey daniyall
[15:00:31] <WilliamRoy> sent you my gmail dylan
[15:00:40] <dylan_r> daniyall do you have gmail
[15:00:40] <dylan_r> ?
[15:00:45] <daniyall> yes
[15:00:56] <daniyall> I can email it to you
[15:01:08] <WilliamRoy> Daniyal have you looked into the git svn stuff?
[15:01:16] <dylan_r> yeah please. I have a google doc that I started putting the list of files we might need to change
[15:02:47] <daniyall> I just sent it.
[15:03:01] <dylan_r> thanks
[15:04:02] <dylan_r> OK. So do we want to go around and say what we know/don't know/ideas?
[15:04:19] <WilliamRoy> ok, what we do know
[15:04:22] <WilliamRoy> to start
[15:04:29] <WilliamRoy> git cannot create svn repos
[15:04:42] <WilliamRoy> it can clone and push to already existing svn repos
[15:05:22] <WilliamRoy> but that have authentication issues because we're using git repos as the middle man to svn
[15:05:27] <WilliamRoy> has*
[15:07:10] <dylan_r> Guess that about sums it up...the not being able to create new repos is sort of a showstopper for this idea of keeping svn support.
[15:08:11] <WilliamRoy> Do you think it would be possible for rails/ruby to interact with the server's shell?
[15:08:19] <WilliamRoy> we could manage svn that way
[15:09:39] <dylan_r> I don't know..and I don't know the implications of that environment wise. I don't know if you can deploy Markus to different boxes like linux and windows, but that would create issues.
[15:10:17] <WilliamRoy> markus already doesn't work on windows haha
[15:10:54] <WilliamRoy> you're right though, there could be a lot of dependancies
[15:11:07] <WilliamRoy> also, I don't like programs touching my shell
[15:11:41] <dylan_r> yeah. I feel like between hacking away for svn or just using git...git seems like the obvious answer
[15:12:10] <dylan_r> Can bring it up tomorrow with Karen though, just to see
[15:12:25] <WilliamRoy> I agree
[15:12:45] <daniyall> Yeah we should discuss it with Karen, but I also think completely replacing svn with Git would be easier
[15:13:25] <dylan_r> plus we know it'll be supported for a good long while
[15:13:41] <daniyall> The purpose of keeping svn was to make it easier for students who are learning version control for the first time
[15:14:01] <WilliamRoy> Git is easy to teach if you have no idea about version control
[15:14:29] <WilliamRoy> I think we should implement the git repos in parallel with the svn main build
[15:14:53] <WilliamRoy> that way if the svn repos catch up, the profs could have a choice about which platform they'd like
[15:15:01] <WilliamRoy> similar to the database situation
[15:15:24] <dylan_r> agreed. might as well leave the svn code alone.
[15:15:56] <WilliamRoy> well that will allow us to still easily work on master too
[15:16:16] <daniyall> Besides changing some configuration stuff, would the main work for that be making a git_repository that extends reposityr?
[15:16:17] <WilliamRoy> i suppose with master, not on master
[15:16:30] <WilliamRoy> partially
[15:16:43] <WilliamRoy> we also need a whole new authentication system
[15:16:53] <daniyall> right.
[15:17:11] <dylan_r> yeah that's going to be fun.
[15:17:15] <WilliamRoy> that would require a new settings page for admin and student
[15:17:38] <WilliamRoy> and probably some database modifications
[15:17:50] <WilliamRoy> do we know how svn authenicates now
[15:17:54] <WilliamRoy> ?
[15:18:04] <dylan_r> not at all. would be good to look into that this week
[15:18:06] <daniyall> Could/Should the new authentication system be used for svn as well?
[15:18:39] <WilliamRoy> maybe, I don't know how svn authenticates
[15:19:00] <dylan_r> i don't think it could. but is there a way we could implement the it auth problem that leaves it blind to the user like now? that would be nice
[15:19:15] <WilliamRoy> so far we need to look into, authentication of svn and can it be recycled AND how to bundle the new git stuff
[15:19:44] <WilliamRoy> does svn use a ssh key pair to authenticate?
[15:19:51] <WilliamRoy> idk I've never used it
[15:20:10] <dylan_r> I don't know. Will need to play around as a student on it
[15:21:07] <dylan_r> well, theres 3 of us and as I see it 3 problems. 1) How svn authenticates now, 2)Managing authentication with Git, 3) actually implementing the git methods and building the git_repository class
[15:21:28] <dylan_r> i don't know if thats a good way to break it up but it might give us all something to do without overlapping
[15:21:35] <WilliamRoy> there is also the issue of installing the bindings
[15:21:45] <dylan_r> ..that too lol
[15:21:58] <WilliamRoy> that kind of goes with implementation though
[15:22:43] <dylan_r> yeah. Maybe it can be a 'first person to get it' shares with the rest deal, since it's a roadblock for everyone
[15:23:11] <WilliamRoy> for the most part, number 1 and 2 don't need the git bindings
[15:23:27] <dylan_r> 1 not much...2 i feel like you would?
[15:23:47] <WilliamRoy> you can develop outside ruby, basically as a test
[15:24:02] <WilliamRoy> even its just a bash program
[15:24:07] <WilliamRoy> if its*
[15:24:09] <dylan_r> true
[15:24:30] <WilliamRoy> libgit2 has all the git functions, it would just be a matter of translation
[15:24:55] <dylan_r> and good luck installing libgit2 on osx =/
[15:25:13] <WilliamRoy> hahaha, watch me get it first try :P
[15:25:33] <dylan_r> probably :S
[15:25:44] <dylan_r> alright well lets set some goals for this week then
[15:26:00] <WilliamRoy> I'll start working on the bundler for libgit2 and rugged
[15:26:03] <dylan_r> i think one should definitely be getting everything we need installed
[15:26:04] <dylan_r> cool
[15:26:21] <WilliamRoy> I'll try and get both OSX and ubuntu working
[15:26:33] <WilliamRoy> which version of Ubuntu are you running Daniyal?
[15:26:42] <daniyall> Kubuntu 13.10
[15:27:06] <dylan_r> I'll look into the svn authentication
[15:27:21] <dylan_r> maybe daniyall we can both do that. might need two lol
[15:27:34] <daniyall> OK. I wanted to look into that too.
[15:27:56] <WilliamRoy> maybe start with git authentication and work towards svn
[15:28:09] <dylan_r> sounds good.
[15:28:11] <WilliamRoy> that way you'll know what you need and maybe some of its already in Markus
[15:28:24] <dylan_r> should we aim for this on 1.9.3?
[15:28:45] <WilliamRoy> probably not, 1.9.3 doesn't work on all the OSX machines
[15:28:58] <WilliamRoy> that's the primary development environment
[15:29:04] <dylan_r> oh right.
[15:29:09] <dylan_r> hokay.
[15:29:14] <daniyall> Yeah Markus on 1.9.3 doesnt work for me after upgrading to Kubuntu 13.10
[15:29:22] <daniyall> Im running on 1.9.2 right now
[15:29:27] <WilliamRoy> 1.8.7 is fine for now i think
[15:29:49] <WilliamRoy> we'd be skipping to ruby 2 anyways once git works haha
[15:30:09] <dylan_r> true
[15:30:42] <WilliamRoy> so dylan and daniyal on authentication, and I'll start working on implementation?
[15:31:27] <dylan_r> sounds good! if we get the bundle done I can help make a guide for others too
[15:32:24] <WilliamRoy> I was just going to say I'd start that too
[15:32:32] <WilliamRoy> haha
[15:32:43] <dylan_r> well whatever haha. whoever has time
[15:32:55] <WilliamRoy> Is there anything we need to talk to Karen or the other developers about?
[15:33:33] <daniyall> We still need to ask if its ok to develop git side by side with svn
[15:33:42] <dylan_r> well, besides the whole leaving svn behind thing..lol
[15:34:09] <WilliamRoy> we're not leaving it behind, we're waiting for it to catch up haha
[15:34:13] <dylan_r> i think thats it though.
[15:34:16] <dylan_r> (if)
[15:34:37] <dylan_r> we all good then/
[15:34:38] <dylan_r> ?
[15:34:57] <WilliamRoy> i think so, are we going to share new info with between each other somehow?
[15:34:58] <daniyall> Yeah, I think so.
[15:35:14] <WilliamRoy> just the email chain we've been using?
[15:35:21] <dylan_r> Yeah i guess just email if we get anywhere
[15:35:50] <dylan_r> cool, well good luck. talk to you guys tomorrow lol
[15:36:10] <WilliamRoy> ok awesome, tty tomorrow
[15:36:14] dylan_r (~email@example.com) left #markus.
[15:36:32] <daniyall> Talk to you tomorrow. Bye
[15:36:44] daniyall (~dl@S01065cd9986b49e3.vc.shawcable.net) left irc: Quit: Konversation terminated!
[15:37:02] WilliamRoy (63f8c306@gateway/web/freenode/ip.126.96.36.199) left irc: Quit: Page closed
[15:59:42] Nick change: m_conley` -> m_conley
[16:45:16] ariannedee (~test@S0106c8fb2643188e.vc.shawcable.net) joined #markus.
[17:10:45] Nick change: m_conley -> m_conley_away
[17:22:11] lissyx (~firstname.lastname@example.org) left irc: Ping timeout: 260 seconds
[22:36:37] hive-mind (pranq@unaffiliated/contempt) left irc: Remote host closed the connection
[22:39:18] hive-mind (pranq@unaffiliated/contempt) joined #markus.