[00:03:15] m_conley (~firstname.lastname@example.org) left irc: Quit: Leaving
[02:20:17] benjaminv (~email@example.com) joined #markus.
[02:22:58] benjaminv (~firstname.lastname@example.org) left irc: Remote host closed the connection
[02:33:16] Hora (~Hora@S01060016b62644df.vc.shawcable.net) left irc: Quit: Hora
[03:34:55] Hora (~Hora@S01060016b62644df.vc.shawcable.net) joined #markus.
[03:47:54] Hora (~Hora@S01060016b62644df.vc.shawcable.net) left irc: Quit: Hora
[08:45:29] jerboaa (~jerboaa@CPE0013f7f849da-CM0013f7f849d6.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com) joined #markus.
[08:45:44] #markus: mode change '+o jerboaa' by MarkUsBot!~MarkUsBot@li136-145.members.linode.com
[10:32:50] NelleV (~Nelle@unaffiliated/nellev) left irc: Quit: leaving
[10:35:40] NelleV (~Nelle@unaffiliated/nellev) joined #markus.
[10:36:06] #markus: mode change '+o NelleV' by MarkUsBot!~MarkUsBot@li136-145.members.linode.com
[11:08:15] mi_sa (~chatzilla@CPE0018f84598ad-CM001a666bf052.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com) joined #markus.
[12:31:34] m_conley (~email@example.com) joined #markus.
[12:31:44] #markus: mode change '+o m_conley' by MarkUsBot!~MarkUsBot@li136-145.members.linode.com
[12:33:00] NelleV (~Nelle@unaffiliated/nellev) left irc: Quit: leaving
[12:48:56] karenreid (~firstname.lastname@example.org) joined #markus.
[12:49:14] #markus: mode change '+o karenreid' by MarkUsBot!~MarkUsBot@li136-145.members.linode.com
[12:54:47] Hora (~Hora@S01060016b62644df.vc.shawcable.net) joined #markus.
[12:55:01] <m_conley> hey all
[12:55:23] <Hora> hi!
[12:56:09] <m_conley> I guess we're just waiting on evan, vivian and kurtis
[12:56:15] <m_conley> it's a tough time of year. ;)
[12:56:27] <Hora> hrm, looks like i forgot about the punchlines
[12:56:33] <Hora> going to put those up right now
[12:56:33] <m_conley> go go go
[12:57:28] <m_conley> mi_sa: thanks again for stepping up with the punchline work. I forgot that students stepping out would completely rearrange the schedule.
[12:57:39] kschmidt_ (~KurtisSch@wi-secure-3921.cc.umanitoba.ca) joined #markus.
[12:57:46] <kschmidt_> Hello Everyone
[12:57:59] <m_conley> hey kschmidt_
[12:58:13] <Hora> hey
[12:59:01] <mi_sa> hi
[13:00:03] <karenreid> hi!
[13:00:25] <karenreid> How is everyone surviving the final week?
[13:00:36] <kschmidt_> Busy busy busy
[13:01:11] evanb (~Evan@bas15-toronto63-1177891691.dsl.bell.ca) joined #markus.
[13:01:22] <Hora> yep, definitely busy, but surviving
[13:01:28] <m_conley> that's good. :)
[13:02:13] <mi_sa> karen i have to leave around 1:30 today
[13:02:27] <karenreid> I was just complaining to a colleague that I have 5 half-answered pieces of email on my desktop, and I'm struggling to keep up to just the daily noise.
[13:02:31] <karenreid> mi_sa, no problem.
[13:02:48] <karenreid> I think we are just missing Vivien
[13:03:24] <karenreid> evanb - Dan sent me another piece of email saying how impressed he was with the changes you made this summer. :-)
[13:03:39] <evanb> karenreid, thats good to hear :)
[13:03:45] <karenreid> Background: Dan is our blind instructor, and evanb added some accessibitliy features
[13:03:51] <karenreid> Big thumbs up from him.
[13:04:03] <m_conley> good stuff!
[13:04:29] <Hora> awesome!
[13:04:39] <karenreid> The cool thing is that he was remarkably easy to please. Evan did some great stuff, but it was a lot less that I thought we would have to do.
[13:05:02] <evanb> Yeah I was surprised at what a difference it made
[13:05:21] viv (~viviensue@CPE001a70e9c2cd-CM001cea371e90.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com) joined #markus.
[13:05:40] <Hora> evanb: what did you work on over the summer? i'm curious
[13:05:41] <viv> sorry i'm a bit late~ my last meeting ran late
[13:05:48] <m_conley> hey viv
[13:06:03] <viv> hello
[13:06:07] <karenreid> Okay, first order of business is that I got scheduled to run a workshop next Friday from 1-2:15. Is there another time that day that would work next Friday? I'm available from 9am to 5 pm otherwise
[13:06:17] <karenreid> hi viv, we were just getting started.
[13:06:40] <evanb> Hora, mostly I implemented keyboard features to replace mouse-only ones, made sure there was always a text alternative to any visual information and added labels to all form elements
[13:06:41] <kschmidt_> I have an exam from 9:00am - 12:00pm next friday
[13:06:42] <karenreid> Could you please email me you availability in Toronto time for next Thursday and Friday?
[13:06:43] <karenreid> Thanks
[13:06:44] <mi_sa> actually i need to help diane on friday
[13:06:46] <kschmidt_> My time
[13:06:52] <mi_sa> which i think is all day (DCS ambassador)
[13:07:14] <viv> oh that reminds me, i have 2 exams next friday... 9-12 and 2-5 :(
[13:07:35] <mi_sa> i guess we'll email thursday schedules then :)
[13:07:43] <Hora> i have an exam on thursday :(
[13:07:47] <mi_sa> =(
[13:07:52] <Hora> this is going to be tough haha
[13:08:04] <viv> :(
[13:08:08] <karenreid> Ack. Looks like Friday is bad all around. Could you also send availability for Thursday and Friday the 16th and 17th
[13:08:09] <karenreid> ?
[13:08:15] <mi_sa> sure
[13:08:18] <viv> sure
[13:08:26] <karenreid> Thanks.
[13:08:38] <Hora> yep, will do
[13:09:17] <karenreid> Okay, for the last real round of the term, I'd like you to also say what you think you need to do to complete your work for this term.
[13:10:04] <karenreid> mi_sa, since you need to leave early, why don't you start?
[13:10:41] <mi_sa> sure
[13:10:49] <mi_sa> i got the submissions view code shipped
[13:11:09] <mi_sa> so now i'm going to continue with the requests tab
[13:11:36] <mi_sa> i'm having some trouble getting the save button to work
[13:11:57] <mi_sa> but i think it might just be dom ids
[13:12:08] <mi_sa> i'll have to play around with that to figure it out
[13:12:46] <m_conley> don't forget to ping the mailing list if you hit a brick wall
[13:13:02] <mi_sa> yup i know
[13:13:03] <m_conley> it's a little late in the game to brood over problems alone. :)
[13:13:17] <mi_sa> ok
[13:14:06] <karenreid> How much more work do you think it needs? Are you planning to finish the view, or will we want to carefully document its status for the next groups?
[13:14:43] <mi_sa> if i can keep working on it until the 16th/17th i hope i can get it finished
[13:15:34] <karenreid> This is really for everyone: I don't mind letting things continue a bit longer than usual, but please be careful.
[13:15:55] <karenreid> viv: How is your piece coming together?
[13:16:26] <viv> i noticed that i misinterpreted something about the structure of the database earlier.. so i've been revising my code
[13:16:48] <viv> and it turns out i will be editing some of the same files as misa.. wanted to ask how we should handle that today
[13:17:04] <viv> since we've been trying to avoid touching the same files all term
[13:17:33] <m_conley> sounds like a merge will have to happen
[13:18:00] <m_conley> with one/both of you making sure that they don't squash the other's work.
[13:18:10] <viv> i also have some questions for clarification i'd like to ask at the end of the meeting :)
[13:18:18] <m_conley> sure
[13:18:19] <karenreid> And, of course, you should compare notes to see if any overlapping changes need to be made.
[13:18:20] <m_conley> i'll be here.
[13:18:53] <viv> yah, for sure
[13:19:07] <karenreid> I'd be interested to hear a quick summary with a little more detail about what you are working on.
[13:19:28] <viv> ah i'm working on displaying the summaries of mark vs remark
[13:19:29] <karenreid> How is the remark summary going to fit into the other views? for exampl.
[13:19:29] <viv> in the views
[13:20:07] <karenreid> I'm sorry for being forgetful. Does it show up as another tab in the grader view?
[13:20:09] <viv> it would show up when doing remarks, and after remarks are released to show the change in marks
[13:20:46] <viv> no, i'm editing the summary and marks tab directly
[13:22:04] <karenreid> ah. I'm trying to guess a bit where the overlap between your code and mi_sa's is. I was wondering if you just need to be careful to determine what the interface for storing and accessing the remark data is.
[13:22:09] <viv> basically, I want these tabs to reflect both the old marks and new marks when a remark is in progress
[13:23:11] <karenreid> thanks
[13:23:38] <karenreid> Please come see me if there is anything to do with the UI that we could simplify or separate to make it easier to code up.
[13:24:00] <viv> yep, will do
[13:24:07] <karenreid> kschmidt_ and Hora, your turn
[13:24:13] <Hora> ok
[13:24:18] <kschmidt_> You can go first Hora
[13:24:21] <Hora> alright
[13:24:26] <Hora> this week was pretty tough for me
[13:24:37] <Hora> i tried to finish up my open review for assignment stat caching
[13:24:57] <Hora> but was having a bunch of trouble writing the tests... don't have a lot of experience with that stuff
[13:25:10] <Hora> i asked evan and severin for help eventually
[13:25:18] <Hora> and i'm making great strides now
[13:25:23] <m_conley> great!
[13:25:23] <Hora> should've asked sooner :P
[13:25:42] <karenreid> good! Figuring out when to ask seems to be a hard skill to learn.
[13:25:52] <Hora> i hope to finish that up later today if i don't run into any more problems
[13:25:58] <Hora> if not by the end of the weekend for sure
[13:26:02] <evanb> Hora, did you overcome that failing test you were getting when I was talking to you?
[13:26:17] <Hora> evanb: no, that's what i'm still struggling with
[13:26:25] <Hora> but jerboaa suggests i don't use an expects statement
[13:26:43] <Hora> instead that i use an assigns and check the variables later, after i do the get_as
[13:27:01] <Hora> so that's what i'll try to do today, i hope that works out a lot better
[13:27:07] <evanb> sounds good
[13:27:15] <karenreid> Do you have anything else on your plate or is wrapping up the stat caching the primary goal?
[13:27:23] <Hora> that's my primary goal
[13:27:32] <Hora> once the review is shipped
[13:27:48] <Hora> i need to integrate that with kurtis' work, and we have to make sure the dashboard is all doen
[13:28:04] <Hora> done(
[13:28:07] <Hora> done*, argh
[13:28:28] <Hora> so that will also include making sure there's a Refresh button somewhere in the dashboard
[13:28:31] <Hora> for updating the graphs
[13:28:46] <karenreid> Great! Some documentation on how the stat caching works would be very useful too.
[13:28:52] <Hora> everything else seems to pretty much be there, from looking at kurtis' review
[13:28:58] <Hora> ok
[13:29:03] <Hora> how should i do that?
[13:29:10] <Hora> in the form of comments, or a blog post?
[13:29:16] <Hora> or both?
[13:29:18] <mi_sa> bye, i have to go!
[13:29:20] <karenreid> Both :-)
[13:29:27] <Hora> ok sounds good :)
[13:29:28] mi_sa (~chatzilla@CPE0018f84598ad-CM001a666bf052.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com) left irc: Quit: ChatZilla 0.9.86 [Firefox 3.6.12/20101026200743]
[13:29:34] <karenreid> thanks mi_sa
[13:29:34] <Hora> i'll get that done
[13:30:06] <Hora> ok so that should be it
[13:30:11] <kschmidt_> Alright
[13:30:28] <kschmidt_> I have three things to do that should wrap everything up for the dashboard
[13:30:59] <kschmidt_> I have an open review up, but Severin asked me to write some tests for a couple of model helper functions I added to the assignment model
[13:31:26] viv (~viviensue@CPE001a70e9c2cd-CM001cea371e90.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com) left irc:
[13:31:48] <kschmidt_> I'm honestly not sure how long that's going to take because I haven't wrote that many rails tests before and these tests need to have some maked assignments some unmarked
[13:32:03] <kschmidt_> After that I just need to integrate with Hora
[13:32:06] <Hora> kschmidt_: ask for help... don't get stuck like i did
[13:32:08] <kschmidt_> Then we can add the graphs
[13:32:15] viv (~viviensue@CPE001a70e9c2cd-CM001cea371e90.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com) joined #markus.
[13:32:22] <kschmidt_> So those three things and we can get this all done
[13:32:27] <m_conley> kschmidt_: Machinist can help you toss together some marked and unmarked Results pretty quickly
[13:32:34] <karenreid> Sounds great!
[13:32:48] <kschmidt_> m_conley: you'll have to explain how Machinist works then
[13:32:53] <evanb> m_conley, it looked like there was no blueprint for Result yet when I was talking to Hora
[13:32:53] <kschmidt_> Or I'll look it up
[13:33:08] <Hora> evanb, kschmidt_: yeah there weren't any
[13:33:11] <m_conley> evanb: hrm - that could be a small problem
[13:33:29] *** m_conley takes a peek
[13:33:29] <Hora> that tripped me up, and i decided to do things a little differently because of that..
[13:33:39] <kschmidt_> To be honest, we could risk pushing the changes and write the test a little bit later
[13:33:56] <kschmidt_> I only wrote them so that the view wouldn't have something like: assignment.submissions.something.has_result?
[13:34:07] <kschmidt_> them being the helper functions
[13:35:00] <m_conley> kschmidt_: instead of using Machinist, you could also use Mocha
[13:35:14] <m_conley> kschmidt_: to mock up a few quick Submissions, and get them to expect calls on has_result?
[13:35:31] <kschmidt_> m_conley:ok
[13:36:12] <Hora> m_conley: i had a lot of trouble with expect calls, i hope kschmidt_ has better luck :P
[13:36:21] <m_conley> hrm
[13:36:28] <kschmidt_> Also, karenreid, would it be alright if I don't get these changes ready until after the 10th
[13:36:29] <m_conley> well, if you hit troubles, ping the list.
[13:36:34] <Hora> mine was a trick situation though
[13:36:38] <Hora> tricky*
[13:36:40] <kschmidt_> I have 2 hard exams and all my grad applications due before then
[13:36:45] <karenreid> kschmidt_: yes that would be fine.
[13:36:55] <kschmidt_> Alright thanks
[13:36:58] <Hora> kschmidt_: i can help you with integration
[13:37:08] <Hora> i only have one exam next week, and my review is almost done
[13:38:08] <kschmidt_> Hora: if you need my changes before I have time to write the tests I'll integrate them into our graphing branch
[13:38:15] <kschmidt_> Then we can just push once the tests are ready
[13:38:24] <Hora> ok i'll let you know
[13:38:29] <kschmidt_> That's about it for me
[13:38:57] <kschmidt_> Also, I'm going to get going. I have some lab prep to do.
[13:39:06] <karenreid> Please be careful in the next week or so that you don't bite off more than you can chew on MarkUs. It would be nice to have these features finished, but if that is looking increasingly unlikely, it would be good to get the documenation in
[13:39:14] <karenreid> kschmidt_ thanks
[13:39:19] <kschmidt_> Bye everyone. Good luck in the last week.
[13:39:21] <karenreid> evanb: you are the last one up
[13:39:25] <evanb> alright